View of London, England from Westminster Bridge

Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Have Been Thinking . . .

Sometimes, during a research project, one can begin to write on a particular topic and change their mind completely.  I am not stating that I dislike William Blake's poem, "London," but when I looked at the words and began to think about its actual meaning, well, Blake's vision of London in 1792 is much darker than I care to write about. Therefore, this blog is taking on a new direction: William Wordsworth's poem, "Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802."  This is a breathtaking poem; so, I will write the words for you upon this page:


"Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802"


Earth has not any thing to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!


William Wordsworth describes the City as this beautiful place: in all of its glory.  As I awakened this morning at 4:30 a.m., which is most unusual for me, I was thinking about William Wordsworth (gasp) and what he must have been thinking when he composed this poem.  He wrote the poem as he saw London in the early morning, which must be the reason I woke up thinking about this at this hour.  Ultimately, I will see London for myself soon, and will walk on Westminster Bridge in the early morning, which is much like Wordsworth did on that day (September 3, 1802).  The Norton Anthology of English Literature states that "[t]he date of this experience was not September 3, but July 31, 1802" (Wordsworth 317).  I have millions (well, maybe not millions, but a lot) of questions running through my mind about what exactly did Wordsworth see on that July day, as well as why did he choose to write about it?  Also, perhaps, why is the date changed on the poem itself?  He is usually a poet who writes about nature.  Although this poem depicts nature in many ways, it is not his usual style, such as "Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey."  This particular poem, to me, is more about the City itself, and the view (imagery) that he sees; it is also about his feelings, which have a deeper meaning themselves.  What are Wordsworth's feelings toward London in the poem, or perhaps, in the poem in general?  I am really excited about this poem.  As I dig deeper into it, as well as its line by line analysis, I plan to have a clearer understanding of Wordsworth's vision of London on that day in July, as well as for my blog viewers.  I will be long gone from London on July 31; however, it helps that I will be there during the month of July so that I can actually see it during the same time that he did; although, it is 209 years later . . .
To better see the vision which Wordsworth had on that day, a historical timeline of what was happening before he wrote the poem is provided below.


Historical Outline of Restoration and 18th Century British Literature   19 July 2011. Web.  


Wordsworth, William. "Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802." The Norton Anthology of English Literature. 8th ed. Vol. D: The Romantic Period. Eds. Stephen Greenblatt, M. H. Abrams, Jack Stillinger, Deidre Shauna Lynch. New York: Norton, 2006. 317. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment