View of London, England from Westminster Bridge

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Beginning of A Journey

London is almost within sight and touch; actually, I can smell it in the air! Isn't it amazing how one can describe three senses all in two sentences? I certainly think so. As the trip nears and this project begins, my senses are heightened like never before. I just read over William Blake's poem, London, and although I studied this poem this past semester, it reads differently now. Therefore, as I walk the streets of London in my mind, this project comes to light: London: In The Eyes of The Beholder. This research blog is on poems about London and their diversities. The blog will have a range of poems from William Blake's London (how Blake saw London in the 18th century during the Romanticism literary movement), as well as contemporary poems viewed from a newer set of eyes. There are also poets that reflect back on London; for example, London Burning exemplifies the city during times of tribulation. Ultimately, I follow London with my eyes, or Candy Otts' version of London, because I am the beholder, and the most contemporary beholder of the city for this particular project. So, grab your sunglasses, and, perhaps, a seat, as I take you through my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment